Walnut Creek Personal Injury Lawyer
Milanfar Law Firm, PC is a respected and reputable team of attorneys with experience in all aspects of personal injury law. We have advocated for the rights and goals of our clients for over 20 years. We can help you as either an injured accident victim or defendant in both mediation and litigation; we offer the same level of commitment to our plaintiff clients as our defense clients. Find out how we can help you during a free case consultation at our local law office. We represent clients in Walnut Creek, the San Francisco Bay area, and throughout California.
Why Choose Milanfar Law Firm, PC?
- We are committed to telling your story. We understand the decision-making process and how to position your case in a compelling and empathetic light.
- Founding attorney Shahrad Milanfar has successfully represented hundreds of clients over the years. He is at the forefront of the use of innovative technology to garner outstanding results.
- Our lawyers also provide effective counsel for the defense. This gives us the unique ability to understand the other side of your case, whether you are the plaintiff or defendant.
What Are the Elements of a Personal Injury Case?
After a harmful accident in California, you may have the right to bring a personal injury claim against one or more parties if certain elements exist. Most personal injury cases are based on the legal theory of negligence. Negligence means that someone has not used the correct amount of care and that this has caused an injury. Proving negligence typically requires evidence of four elements:
- Duty of care
- Breach of duty
Essentially, you or your attorney must establish that the defendant had a legal or ethical duty not to harm you, did not fulfill this duty, and that this is what caused your injury. You must also have proof of damages, or losses, such as medical bills and property damage. Our lawyers can help you build a personal injury case using all the required elements as a plaintiff.
Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?
Getting injured in an accident in Walnut Creek can leave you with many questions about what to do next. You may be entitled to financial compensation, but you may not know how to get it or protect your rights along the way. Working with a personal injury lawyer can help you achieve your legal goals while also getting the help that you need to heal and move forward. An experienced personal injury lawyer can connect you to top doctors in your city, create a personalized legal strategy and fight for maximum financial compensation on your behalf – all while making sure that you have everything you need during this difficult time.
What You Can Expect From Our Personal Injury Attorneys
At Milanfar Law Firm, PC, we accept many different types of personal injury cases. We are a team of attorneys with years of experience in this field of law. We can help you tell your story if you were injured by any of the following:
- Motor vehicle accident
- Trucking/transportation accident
- Defective product
- Habitability issue
- Dog or animal attack
- Slip and fall accident
- Police brutality
- Nursing home abuse or neglect
We handle catastrophic injury cases, including traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury claims. When you hire our law firm, you will get the attention of an experienced and dedicated personal injury lawyer who is resourceful, resilient, and respected.
Types of Compensation Available After an Injury Occurs
Individuals who sustain injuries in the Walnut Creek area may be able to recover various types of compensation for their losses, particularly if another party was responsible for causing the injury. At Milanfar Law Firm, PC, we are dedicated to helping clients recover both “special” and “general” damages for every case that we work with.
- Special damages. You may see these referred to as economic damages, and these types of damages revolve around the calculable expenses that individuals incur after an injury in Walnut Creek. We can look at receipts, invoices, and bills that come in to help adequately calculate the following:
- Emergency medical expenses
- Hospital and doctor’s office visits
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Medical devices and prescription medications
- Lost wages and loss of future earnings
- Property damage expenses
- Various household out-of-pocket expenses
- General damages. Sometimes, general damages are referred to as pain and suffering damages or noneconomic damages. These are the types of losses that are a bit more immeasurable after an injury occurs. They are immeasurable due to the fact that there are typically no receipts or bills to add up, but there are certainly ways to calculate these types of losses. It is essential to recognize an injury victim’s:
- Physical pain and suffering damages
- Emotional and psychological distress
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of consortium or intimacy with a spouse
How Much Compensation Will You Receive?
There is no set amount of compensation paid to Walnut Creek personal injury victims if their claim is successful. Rather, there are several factors that can influence compensation amounts. Some of the most important factors include the severity of the injury, how long it takes a person to recover, and whether or not the individual is able to work while recovering.
Other factors that can influence settlement amounts include the level of any property damage as well as how much pain and suffering a person incurs as a result of the incident. Shared fault can also change how much compensation a person receives.
When working to calculate these damages, your attorney will enlist assistance from trusted economic, financial, and medical experts. These individuals can compile reports and offer testimony while the caes is ongoing.
Time Limit for Filing a Walnut Creek Personal Injury Lawsuit
Walnut Creek personal injury victims have a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit against the other party in these situations. The personal injury statute of limitations in California is two years from the date the injury occurs. If a victim fails to file their lawsuit against the allegedly negligent party within this timeframe, they will not be able to recover any compensation for their losses.
Additionally, insurance carriers will have reporting deadlines as well, often within a day or two after the incident occurs. If you do not report the injury promptly to the insurance carrier, they could place additional delays on the claim or even deny the claim altogether.
Steps to Take After an Injury Occurs
After sustaining an injury caused by the negligence of another party in the Walnut Creek area, there are various steps that you can take to help ensure your claim’s success. We understand that you have already likely sought medical care, but if you have not, you need to do so immediately.
Winning a personal injury claim involves having the medical records to back up what you tell an insurance carrier or a personal injury jury. In addition to seeking medical care right after the injury occurs, you must continue all treatments recommended by your doctor if you want to have a better chance of success with your claim.
Aside from seeking medical care, there are various steps that can help you through this process:
- Reporting the injury. You need to report the injury to the appropriate entity after it occurs. This could include calling 911 and letting law enforcement know or reporting the injury to a property owner where the incident occurred. Make sure to get any and all accident reports related to the incident in motion as soon as possible. Each injury claim is different, so the entity or individual who should receive the report will vary.
- Gathering and maintaining evidence. Either at the scene of the incident or in the days and weeks that follow, there will likely be various types of evidence gathered. At the scene of the incident, this can include photographs and video surveillance taken on cell phones. Additionally, eyewitness contact information should be written down so they can give statements at a later date.
- Contacting an attorney. A skilled Walnut Creek personal injury lawyer should get involved in the incident as soon as possible so they can begin handling the evidence-gathering process and communicating with other parties on your behalf.
- Staying off Social Media. Assume that anything you post online after an injury and while the case is ongoing could hurt the claim. We encourage you to stay off of social media until your case has concluded.
How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
Affording a personal injury attorney in the Walnut Creek area does not have to be impossible. At Milanfar Law Firm, PC, our team handles personal injury claims on a contingency fee basis. Clients will never have to worry about paying upfront or out-of-pocket costs at the beginning of their case or while the case is ongoing. Our team will only collect legal fees after we successfully recover compensation on behalf of the client. The total legal fees will be a percentage of the final settlement or jury verdict, and this percentage will be agreed on before we start the case.
In the event we are unable to recover compensation through a successful claim, clients will pay absolutely no legal fees, and they will not have to pay us back for what has already been spent.
Request a Free Personal Injury Case Evaluation in Walnut Creek, CA
Personal injury is a complex area of law that requires special legal knowledge and abilities. At Milanfar Law Firm, PC, we have experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants. This gives us invaluable knowledge about both sides. We are committed to helping our clients achieve their goals, whatever their situation may be. Find out how we can assist you during a free case evaluation in Walnut Creek, California. Please call (925) 433-6003 or contact us online to schedule your case review. We represent clients in Walnut Creek, the San Francisco Bay area, Los Angeles, and throughout California.