Trucking Accidents: Frequently Asked Questions
Complex legal issues arise in truck accident cases. Here are some important things to understand:
What makes trucking accidents so different than car accidents?
Commercial truck accidents typically involve legal issues that are not necessarily involved in other crashes. Because of the immense size and weight of the vehicles involved, the trucking industry is heavily regulated in a way that smaller vehicles are not.
There are federal rules regarding truck maintenance and cargo, as well as truck drivers’ hours of service. Violations of these rules can lead to serious injuries, and anyone involved in a truck accident should seek legal advice as soon as possible.
Who can be held liable for a trucking accident?
Numerous parties may be liable for a truck accident:
- Liability could fall to the trucking company, the truck driver, or the truck manufacturer.
- Improper loading of a truck could also lead to an accident, and the party responsible for loading the truck could be held liable.
- Drivers of smaller passenger vehicles may also be liable if driver negligence leads to a collision.
A thorough investigation is typically necessary to determine exactly who is liable for a commercial truck accident. Our firm has the technical knowledge, professional resources, and trial experience to pinpoint issues of liability and present strong cases on behalf of our clients in negotiation or at trial.
What are the common causes of trucking accidents?
Many different circumstances lead to accidents involving large trucks, but here are some common causes:
- Improper loading (resulting in tip-over accidents)
- Speeding / failure to stop for slowed traffic
- Failure to slow in construction zones
- Inadequate truck or trailer maintenance
- Faulty brakes
- Negligent merging / lane changes
- Truck driver fatigue
- Truck driver intoxication
- Negligence or recklessness on the part of passenger vehicle drivers
Why is it so important to have a trucking accident lawyer on your side?
Trucking accidents often result in serious personal injuries and complex insurance matters. In the wake of a crash, it is crucial to have on your side an experienced attorney who handles truck accident cases specifically.
At Milanfar Law Firm, our experience on both sides of these cases — representing plaintiffs and defendants — is an invaluable benefit to our clients. Our attorneys know trucking law and personal injury law, and we use this knowledge, along with innovative trial strategies, to tell our clients’ stories and achieve outstanding results.
See our testimonials from clients and colleagues to learn more.
For a free consultation, please call us at (925) 433-6003 or complete our contact form. Our attorneys represent clients in the San Francisco Bay Area, Walnut Creek, Los Angeles and throughout California.