Truck Accidents: What You Need to Know From an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney.
Truck accidents are a serious problem in the United States. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, truck accidents are on the rise. Every year, thousands of people die on U.S. highways because of big rig accidents. Big rigs can weigh between 10,000 pounds and 80,000 pounds (when fully loaded). This means significant amounts of force are exerted on the other vehicle and its occupants when an 18-wheeler crashes into a person’s car or truck. Truck accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including driver error, fatigue, and mechanical failure.
What to Do When You Are in a Truck Accident.
Since we are not your truck accident attorneys, we cannot give you legal advice. However, here are some practical suggestions to help you if you are ever in a truck accident, while you are looking for the right truck accident lawyer.
- Seek medical attention immediately, even if you do not know whether you are injured. Because of the tremendous amount of force exerted by a truck in a crash, truck accidents can cause serious injuries that are not immediately apparent. Truck accidents can cause brain injuries, concussions, broken bones, fractures, spinal injuries, head injuries, and a host of emotional trauma.
- Call the police or highway patrol and file a report. The police report will document the details of the collision, which will be important if you decide to file a lawsuit.
- Gather contact information from the truck driver and any witnesses. This information can be helpful in proving your case if you decide to file a lawsuit.
- Obtain the truck driver’s insurance information.
- Take photos of the truck, your car, and the scene of the accident. These photos can be helpful in proving your truck accident case.
- Do not admit fault or sign any documents without consulting with an attorney. Anything you say or sign could be used against you in court.
- Do not give a recorded statement to anyone. Anything you say in a recorded statement could be used against you in a lawsuit.
- Notify your insurance company.
- Consider hiring a truck accident attorney. A truck accident attorney can help you protect your rights and get you the fair compensation to which you are entitled.
How to Select a Qualified Truck Accident Lawyer.
When choosing a truck accident attorney, there are several factors you should consider:
- Experience: Make sure the attorney has experience handling truck accident cases.
- Track record: Ask about the attorney’s track record of success in truck accident cases.
- Make sure the attorney is available to answer your questions and help you with your case during the litigation.
- Make sure the attorney is knowledgeable about the laws that apply to truck accidents.
- Make sure the attorney is a good communicator and will keep you updated on your case.
- Ask about the attorney’s fee structure and make sure you understand what you will be charged.
- Make sure your attorney has the ability to handle complex investigations and evidence gathering.
- Make sure your attorney has strong negotiation and litigation skills.
- Make sure your attorney knows how to use technology to gather evidence, present evidence, and manage your case.
Truck accidents can be a devastating experience. If you have been involved in a truck accident, it is important to take steps to protect your rights. By following the tips above, you can increase your chances of getting properly and fairly compensated for your personal injury, pain and suffering, and emotional distress damages.
Causes of Truck Accidents.
There are many factors that can contribute to truck accidents. Some of the most common causes include:
- Driver error: Driver error is the leading cause of truck accidents. This can include things like speeding, following too closely, inattentiveness, and making unsafe lane changes.
- Fatigue: Truck drivers are often required to work long hours, which can lead to fatigue. Fatigue can impair a driver’s ability to react quickly and make safe decisions.
- Mechanical failure: Mechanical failure can also cause truck accidents. This can include things like tire blowouts, brake failure, and engine problems.
- Weather conditions: Weather conditions can also contribute to truck accidents. This is especially true in cases of ice, snow, and heavy rain.
- Road Design or Construction: The road itself can cause truck accidents. This should be explored by an experienced truck accident lawyer.
How to Avoid Truck Accidents.
There are several things you can do to avoid being involved in a truck accident. Some of the most important things include:
- Be aware of your surroundings: When driving, be sure to pay attention to other drivers, especially large trucks.
- Give trucks plenty of space: When driving behind a truck, be sure to give it plenty of space. This will help you avoid being involved in a rear-end collision.
- Do not tailgate: Tailgating is dangerous for a number of reasons. Tailgating can make it difficult to react to sudden changes in traffic, and it can also increase the risk of a rear-end collision.
- Be patient: Truck drivers often have to make slow and cautious maneuvers. Be patient and allow them the time they need to make these maneuvers safely.
- Obey the rules of the road: Always obey the rules of the road, especially when driving near large trucks. This will help to keep everyone safe on the road.
Knowing your rights and knowing how to select a truck accident attorney can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case. Do your homework. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us at 925-433-6003 or complete our intake form by clicking here.
This blog post is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice. Reading this blog post or contacting our firm does not create an attorney client relationship.